Identify a particular image that stood out for you in Chapter 1. Describe in detail what you envision and why you think it struck you. End your post w/ a question.
I found the image of Danny staring at reuven manically was the one that stuck in my head. I think this image stuck because Danny had been a jerk to Reuven but also had insulted his team.I found it interesting that Danny decided to visit Reuven in the hospital and also that Danny was only allowed to play baseball because he convinced his dad that his team would surely win the game. I found it interesting that Danny wants to be anything but what his father is and that Reuven doesn't want to be anything but a rabbi. I wonder how Danny's dad is going to take the new found friendship between Danny and Reuven?
I have a feeling that Danny's father is not going to take it well at first, but I think that maybe if they become closer they can realize that they really aren't that different and one is not better than the other. Hopefully both of the fathers will be okay with the friendship and maybe the fathers will also be able to learn something from this and be able to tolerate each other.
The image that I found the most...fasenating was when they where playing baseball and the other team said"burn in hell". this jumped out at me because they both believe in the same religion but where still very predigest agents them because they weren't jewish enoghf.Isn't what the other team says kinda a hate crime?
Hate crime...hmm, I don't think so. I think it's more like using one's first amendment right/being an a**hole. Hate crime is like the stupidest thing ever. It's bad to murder someone, for example, but it's totes wrong for the murderer to be punished more because the reason is racism, antisemitism, whatevs. Cuz that stuff, although it SUCKS, is someones beliefs, which they are entitled to. What was said I would call anti-not-as-semitic-as-I-am-ism. And acting like a teenager lol.
The image that I found interesting while reading Chapter One was when Reuven was pitching to Danny and he made that incredible catch. I thought that this section of the chapter was very intense, with a lot of detail. One small passage that I found the most interesting was, "The ball hit the pocket of my glove with an impact that numbed my hand and went through me like an electric shock" (p.30) I found this passage full of detail that helped me understand how bad the pain was in his hand. Since I use to play softball I can relate to this situation very well, and I will have to agree with Reuevn that is is very painful at times when you have to catch a fast ball like that. Why is there so much tension between the two teams? Is it just because they come from two different Jewish communities?
That part was eye-catching for me too... I think there's so much tension because despite living in the same few blocks, all of the kids go to different schools and haven't ever gotten to know the other yeshivas. The first they're seeing of each other is at a competition where they're being encouraged to fight. Each knows nothing about the other, and a fight is how they're learning.
An image that stood out to me in the first chapter was this, on page 4: "The sidewalks of Williamsburg were cracked squares of cement, the streets paved with asphalt that softened in the stifling summers and broke apart into potholes in the bitter winters ... some [stores] were owned by Orthodox Jews, members of the Hasidic sects in the area. They could be seen behind their counters, wearing black skullcaps, full beards, and long earlocks, eking out their meager livelihoods and dreaming of Shabbat and festivals when they could close their stores and turn their attention to their prayers, their rabbi, their God." I really, really like the image this put in my head. A sepia, dreamlike state for the Jews, always looking forward to the next Shabbat, getting through the day as everyone is moving or standing still around them. I can't even really describe it, but I loved it! Though it may not be a question with an answer or it may not even make sense, I was wondering: why is half of the first chapter so calm and quiet before immediately launching into the extremely intense softball game?
Your question is a good one, goes from a really calm and relaxed first part of the chapter then a softball game that was almost like a war the second part. I think this is showing the two different kinds of the same religion. How Reuven's part of the religion is calm and laid back.You can learn english and can play baseball without having too much trouble doing so. Then you have Danny's.Where the baseball team was only made so they could win against everyone. They don't get to work on their english, only on working intensely on their religious beliefs. When the two kinds of the same religion crash, it becomes intense for everyone at least thats what I thought about while reading this interesting chapter.
Reuven gets hit in the face by the ball. A group crowds around him, everyone looking frightened and quite concerned. I imagine that they would be...but from Reuven's point of view, it's for a reason that's pretty much unknown. What I envision is a group of people looking at me as if I emerged from a gruesome accident (which I sorta did...), and being confused and in pain for a reason that's somewhat unclear to me. This sounds like it sucks. I think Reuven would be really nervous and curious about what happened, is my eye okay?!, etc. This was painful to read! Can anyone empathize with him -- having gone though something similar?
I have gone through a somewhat similar (and albeit less dramatic) experience related to an eye injury. Last year in gym class I got hit in the eye with a racket. It didn't hurt that bad and ended up only blackening my eye for a couple days, but there was a moment when I first got hit I thought to myself "Oh God I'm going to lose my eye."
Well I was there when Ian got hit in gym class and it was so awful and I was trying so hard to act like it was ok but in reality I didn't want to look at him because I was afraid to look at him because i thought I would cry. Sorry Ian
An image that struck me was when Danny got his first hit. On the bottom of page 21, when the ball nearly hits Schwartzie and flies off to center field after Reuven tries in vain to grab it. This passage is very full of action and I actually had to read it a couple of times before I managed to fully get a picture of what happened. I can really relate to Reuven when he sort of just raises his glove in a sad attempt to stop the ball because this essentially sums up my experiences playing baseball and softball. I wonder, though, was Danny intentionally trying to hurt the pitcher because he seems to hate everybody on the other team, or was he just hitting the ball right at them because it's an effective way to get on base?
My Image is when Reuven was in the emergency room because I can really relate to it and I see him in a hospital just like DHMC but old fashioned with nurses. I think he wouldn't really be fully aware of himself I know I wasn't in a similar situation. I would like to learn more about his couch? He fascinates me I am not shure why yet, but I want to learn more about him. I wonder why he is so connected to the game and not the war?
One of the images that really struck me was when Reuven and Danny talk for the first time on Reuven’s base. It was really surprising to me when I read the part where Danny says “ I told my team we’re going to kill you apikorsim this afternoon.” To me, it was out of the blue and strange. The way Reuven handled it was the way I would’ve acted, surprised and angry. I can not really relate to this because this situation is not one I have ever been in. Danny seems like he doesn’t know how to act around people because I would not say that out of the blue, or something this mean mean in general. I do not think this is something anyone would say. Another way that you could look at this is that Danny is very angry, and taking his anger out on other people. This also makes me wonder, does Danny think this is a ball game, or if this is a war that he absolutely can not lose? Is someone pushing this him to be this good (maybe his father?)? Or is this just the way he acts in a game?
I noticed this too. Danny struck me as a pretty intense guy. I'm not sure why yet, though. Maybe later in the book his manor/behavior during the baseball game will be explained--who knows? His father could very possibly be the reason. Or, like you said, this could just be the way Danny behaves during baseball games. He might just be one of those people who get a little too competitive at times. I know i'm like that, so I can connect with this. Sometimes I get a little too intense when I'm focused on something. So if that was the case, I would understand.
This book started out in a pretty relaxing way. But, like Hyla and Maggie said, it quickly went from nice and easygoing to a really intense, war-like baseball game. An image that struck me was near the end of the chapter, on page 33: "When I turned back I saw that Danny Saunders hadn't moved. He was holding his bat in his left hand, standing very still, and staring at me. His eyes were dark, and his lips were parted in a crazy, idiot grin. I heard the umpire yell, 'Play ball!' but Danny Saunders stood there, staring at me and grinning." This section seemed kind of strange at first, because I had no idea why Danny was smiling that way--it was actually a little creepy. But then I kept reading and as soon as the next pitch was thrown I could see what was about to happen play out in my mind. I knew Danny was going to hit it, and I knew it would be an impressive hit, but what I didn't know was that it would end up hitting Reuven right in the face. This part really stood out to me because I could picture it happening so well. It even seems like something that could happen in real life--the person at bat psyches put the pitcher by making them think they can't hit, but suddenly they unleash all of their power into the last pitch. But a question I have was, is that what Danny was doing all along? And did he want to hit Reuven in the face, or was that just a lucky hit?
In all honestly, I don't know if it was intentional or not that Danny managed to hit Reuven in the face with the ball, and I am a bit conflicted. On the one hand, whenever Danny would bat, the ball would always be hit back to the Pitcher's face without fail, so it’s possible it’s something he can’t necessarily control. However, before Reuven pitched, there was obvious hatred being directed towards Reuven, considering the fact that he and his teammates were playing to beat the “apikorsim”. Perhaps we’ll find out later!
An image that stuck with me in particular, on page 14, was the contrast of the appearance of the two teams. The group that Danny played for wore very simple and traditional outfits. Each boy was donning similar outfits of dark pants, white sweaters and shirts, and had their hair worn according to practices that some sects chose to adopt, including the Hasidic sect they were in. They were unshaved, and had long locks of hair due to the very literal interpretation of the Biblical injunction against shaving the "corners" of one's head. They also wore tzitzit, an article of clothing sometimes worn by Jews to remind them of their obligations to God, and skullcaps to show their respect and reverence to God. However, on Reuven’s team the boys wore whatever they wished, with the exclusion of all of them wearing a skull cap. In my mind, I could imagine how loud the message between the two teams was. One the one hand, Danny’s team, was wearing clothing that showed that they lived for God, for their mission on earth is to achieve piedy on earth. On the other hand, Reuven and his team are Orthodox, and believe that it is their work to change the world into a better place, so all may live a better life. I thought that the way the differences between the two sects was addressed interestingly, so that is honestly why this stuck with me. Will this lead to conflict within future chapters?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLALALALALALALAAAA
ReplyDeleteI love Pie
ReplyDeleteSay something, anything.
ReplyDeleteTest, 1, 2, 3.
Anything but that.
if you were a fruit you'd be a fineapple
ReplyDeleteI found the image of Danny staring at reuven manically was the one that stuck in my head. I think this image stuck because Danny had been a jerk to Reuven but also had insulted his team.I found it interesting that Danny decided to visit Reuven in the hospital and also that Danny was only allowed to play baseball because he convinced his dad that his team would surely win the game. I found it interesting that Danny wants to be anything but what his father is and that Reuven doesn't want to be anything but a rabbi. I wonder how Danny's dad is going to take the new found friendship between Danny and Reuven?
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling that Danny's father is not going to take it well at first, but I think that maybe if they become closer they can realize that they really aren't that different and one is not better than the other. Hopefully both of the fathers will be okay with the friendship and maybe the fathers will also be able to learn something from this and be able to tolerate each other.
DeleteDanny says hi
ReplyDeletehi people
ReplyDeleteThe image that I found the most...fasenating was when they where playing baseball and the other team said"burn in hell". this jumped out at me because they both believe in the same religion but where still very predigest agents them because they weren't jewish enoghf.Isn't what the other team says kinda a hate crime?
ReplyDeleteHate crime...hmm, I don't think so. I think it's more like using one's first amendment right/being an a**hole. Hate crime is like the stupidest thing ever. It's bad to murder someone, for example, but it's totes wrong for the murderer to be punished more because the reason is racism, antisemitism, whatevs. Cuz that stuff, although it SUCKS, is someones beliefs, which they are entitled to. What was said I would call anti-not-as-semitic-as-I-am-ism. And acting like a teenager lol.
Deletethe tango Maureen
ReplyDeleteThe image that I found interesting while reading Chapter One was when Reuven was pitching to Danny and he made that incredible catch. I thought that this section of the chapter was very intense, with a lot of detail. One small passage that I found the most interesting was, "The ball hit the pocket of my glove with an impact that numbed my hand and went through me like an electric shock" (p.30) I found this passage full of detail that helped me understand how bad the pain was in his hand. Since I use to play softball I can relate to this situation very well, and I will have to agree with Reuevn that is is very painful at times when you have to catch a fast ball like that. Why is there so much tension between the two teams? Is it just because they come from two different Jewish communities?
ReplyDeleteThat part was eye-catching for me too... I think there's so much tension because despite living in the same few blocks, all of the kids go to different schools and haven't ever gotten to know the other yeshivas. The first they're seeing of each other is at a competition where they're being encouraged to fight. Each knows nothing about the other, and a fight is how they're learning.
DeleteAn image that stood out to me in the first chapter was this, on page 4: "The sidewalks of Williamsburg were cracked squares of cement, the streets paved with asphalt that softened in the stifling summers and broke apart into potholes in the bitter winters ... some [stores] were owned by Orthodox Jews, members of the Hasidic sects in the area. They could be seen behind their counters, wearing black skullcaps, full beards, and long earlocks, eking out their meager livelihoods and dreaming of Shabbat and festivals when they could close their stores and turn their attention to their prayers, their rabbi, their God." I really, really like the image this put in my head. A sepia, dreamlike state for the Jews, always looking forward to the next Shabbat, getting through the day as everyone is moving or standing still around them. I can't even really describe it, but I loved it! Though it may not be a question with an answer or it may not even make sense, I was wondering: why is half of the first chapter so calm and quiet before immediately launching into the extremely intense softball game?
ReplyDeleteYour question is a good one, goes from a really calm and relaxed first part of the chapter then a softball game that was almost like a war the second part. I think this is showing the two different kinds of the same religion. How Reuven's part of the religion is calm and laid back.You can learn english and can play baseball without having too much trouble doing so. Then you have Danny's.Where the baseball team was only made so they could win against everyone. They don't get to work on their english, only on working intensely on their religious beliefs. When the two kinds of the same religion crash, it becomes intense for everyone at least thats what I thought about while reading this interesting chapter.
DeleteReuven gets hit in the face by the ball. A group crowds around him, everyone looking frightened and quite concerned. I imagine that they would be...but from Reuven's point of view, it's for a reason that's pretty much unknown. What I envision is a group of people looking at me as if I emerged from a gruesome accident (which I sorta did...), and being confused and in pain for a reason that's somewhat unclear to me. This sounds like it sucks. I think Reuven would be really nervous and curious about what happened, is my eye okay?!, etc. This was painful to read! Can anyone empathize with him -- having gone though something similar?
ReplyDeleteI have gone through a somewhat similar (and albeit less dramatic) experience related to an eye injury. Last year in gym class I got hit in the eye with a racket. It didn't hurt that bad and ended up only blackening my eye for a couple days, but there was a moment when I first got hit I thought to myself "Oh God I'm going to lose my eye."
DeleteWell I was there when Ian got hit in gym class and it was so awful and I was trying so hard to act like it was ok but in reality I didn't want to look at him because I was afraid to look at him because i thought I would cry.
DeleteSorry Ian
An image that struck me was when Danny got his first hit. On the bottom of page 21, when the ball nearly hits Schwartzie and flies off to center field after Reuven tries in vain to grab it. This passage is very full of action and I actually had to read it a couple of times before I managed to fully get a picture of what happened. I can really relate to Reuven when he sort of just raises his glove in a sad attempt to stop the ball because this essentially sums up my experiences playing baseball and softball. I wonder, though, was Danny intentionally trying to hurt the pitcher because he seems to hate everybody on the other team, or was he just hitting the ball right at them because it's an effective way to get on base?
ReplyDeleteMy Image is when Reuven was in the emergency room because I can really relate to it and I see him in a hospital just like DHMC but old fashioned with nurses. I think he wouldn't really be fully aware of himself I know I wasn't in a similar situation. I would like to learn more about his couch? He fascinates me I am not shure why yet, but I want to learn more about him. I wonder why he is so connected to the game and not the war?
ReplyDeleteOne of the images that really struck me was when Reuven and Danny talk for the first time on Reuven’s base. It was really surprising to me when I read the part where Danny says “ I told my team we’re going to kill you apikorsim this afternoon.” To me, it was out of the blue and strange. The way Reuven handled it was the way I would’ve acted, surprised and angry. I can not really relate to this because this situation is not one I have ever been in. Danny seems like he doesn’t know how to act around people because I would not say that out of the blue, or something this mean mean in general. I do not think this is something anyone would say. Another way that you could look at this is that Danny is very angry, and taking his anger out on other people. This also makes me wonder, does Danny think this is a ball game, or if this is a war that he absolutely can not lose? Is someone pushing this him to be this good (maybe his father?)? Or is this just the way he acts in a game?
ReplyDeleteI noticed this too. Danny struck me as a pretty intense guy. I'm not sure why yet, though. Maybe later in the book his manor/behavior during the baseball game will be explained--who knows? His father could very possibly be the reason. Or, like you said, this could just be the way Danny behaves during baseball games. He might just be one of those people who get a little too competitive at times. I know i'm like that, so I can connect with this. Sometimes I get a little too intense when I'm focused on something. So if that was the case, I would understand.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis book started out in a pretty relaxing way. But, like Hyla and Maggie said, it quickly went from nice and easygoing to a really intense, war-like baseball game. An image that struck me was near the end of the chapter, on page 33: "When I turned back I saw that Danny Saunders hadn't moved. He was holding his bat in his left hand, standing very still, and staring at me. His eyes were dark, and his lips were parted in a crazy, idiot grin. I heard the umpire yell, 'Play ball!' but Danny Saunders stood there, staring at me and grinning." This section seemed kind of strange at first, because I had no idea why Danny was smiling that way--it was actually a little creepy. But then I kept reading and as soon as the next pitch was thrown I could see what was about to happen play out in my mind. I knew Danny was going to hit it, and I knew it would be an impressive hit, but what I didn't know was that it would end up hitting Reuven right in the face. This part really stood out to me because I could picture it happening so well. It even seems like something that could happen in real life--the person at bat psyches put the pitcher by making them think they can't hit, but suddenly they unleash all of their power into the last pitch. But a question I have was, is that what Danny was doing all along? And did he want to hit Reuven in the face, or was that just a lucky hit?
ReplyDeleteIn all honestly, I don't know if it was intentional or not that Danny managed to hit Reuven in the face with the ball, and I am a bit conflicted. On the one hand, whenever Danny would bat, the ball would always be hit back to the Pitcher's face without fail, so it’s possible it’s something he can’t necessarily control. However, before Reuven pitched, there was obvious hatred being directed towards Reuven, considering the fact that he and his teammates were playing to beat the “apikorsim”. Perhaps we’ll find out later!
DeleteAn image that stuck with me in particular, on page 14, was the contrast of the appearance of the two teams. The group that Danny played for wore very simple and traditional outfits. Each boy was donning similar outfits of dark pants, white sweaters and shirts, and had their hair worn according to practices that some sects chose to adopt, including the Hasidic sect they were in. They were unshaved, and had long locks of hair due to the very literal interpretation of the Biblical injunction against shaving the "corners" of one's head. They also wore tzitzit, an article of clothing sometimes worn by Jews to remind them of their obligations to God, and skullcaps to show their respect and reverence to God. However, on Reuven’s team the boys wore whatever they wished, with the exclusion of all of them wearing a skull cap. In my mind, I could imagine how loud the message between the two teams was. One the one hand, Danny’s team, was wearing clothing that showed that they lived for God, for their mission on earth is to achieve piedy on earth. On the other hand, Reuven and his team are Orthodox, and believe that it is their work to change the world into a better place, so all may live a better life. I thought that the way the differences between the two sects was addressed interestingly, so that is honestly why this stuck with me. Will this lead to conflict within future chapters?
ReplyDelete