Quote 2 particular lines or passages from within Chap 2-4: one that feels imp’t to the text and one that feels imp’t to you, and explain why they feel imp’t. End your post w/ a question. (Note page #s.)
"I didn't want to duck any ball he hit”. I liked this quote because the whole time he was going to the hospital he hated Danny because he's the one who hit the ball but when Danny visited Reuven we find out that it was mostly Reuven's pride that brought him to the hospital.I dont’ understand why they are so mean to each other.Does anyone else?
Well Shannon Danny was hitting balls right at the pitcher making the duck, or get hit by the baseball and when I read that part I thought that Reuven wanted to win against Danny after he insulted Reuvens team and because Danny insulted Reuvens father and his team Reuven thought he would prove that he wasn't going to let danny win and have the swollen ego after. Also when Danny insulted his father he made the matter personal and everyone who attended his services.
"Asleep,I heard a shout and a noise that sounded like a cheer, and I woke up immediately" I thought that this quote really set the time and context for the book. "I have an agreement with my father. I study my quota of Talmud everyday, and he doesn't care what I do the rest of the time. Whats your quota of Talmud? Two blatt." I think this quote hsows significance because it shows a window into Dannies life.
A quote that I personally thought was good was “I can’t read for two weeks?” ( Pg 52) I could relate to the shock of not being able to read because if I couldn’t read for two weeks, I would die. I love to read, and we all read everyday to learn. So for Reuven it would be hard or maybe even harder. A quote that goes really well with the story is “That’s right Bobby boy. I’m a prelim man. Could’ve been on top if that guy hadn’t clopped me with that right the way he did. Flattened me for a month Manager lost faith. Lousy manager. Tough racket, the ring. Good food, eh?”(Pg 45) I think this is a quote goes really well with the story because it shows you what Tony Savo is like. He sounds happy and a little crazy, in a good way if that makes sense. As I was reading, Tony started to become more of a mystery. I was wondering if Tony Savo was really a fighter or if something else happened to him? Do we ever find out?
I do not know if we ever find out more about Mr. Savo, but I do agree with you that he does seem to be very mysterious about things all of a sudden. At the end of part one we find out that he lost one of his eyes, but he really doesn't explain why. I have a feeling that Mr. Savo isn't letting on about his illness as much as we think.
I agree I couldn't imagine not being aloud to read for two weeks that would be awful. I love this line I am really connected to it. I would like to know more about Tony also he seams like an interesting person with many layers.
"People are not always what they seem to be....that is the way the world is, Reuven." (74) This passage is important to the book because with many characters you may have one opinion about them at the beginning of the book, but as you read on your opinion about that character may change. For example, at the beginning of the book I was not very fond of Danny Saunders, but as I kept reading my opinion about him changed. This is also something that happens a lot in real life. Many people refer this as "judging a book by its cover" or "judging someone by their appearance". "You know what a friend is, Reuven? A Greek philosopher said that two people who are true friends are like two bodies with one soul." (74) This passage is important to me because having a friend in your life is something that everyone should get to have. Being able to have someone in your life that you know you can trust and depend on is something that is very important. People shouldn't have to go through life not having someone that they can talk to or help them. While Reuven was at the hospital he made friends with a boy named Billy and an older man named Mr. Savo, do you think he will ever see them again?
I don't think so. I think they were characters introduced momentarily in order to give some insight into what was going on in Reuven's life. They were there simply to show an outside perspective.
I think that maybe Reuven will think back to Mr. Savo. I do not think that we will see him again. Like Hyla said, Mr. Savo was a little part of Reuven's I do have a feeling though that there will be more people like Mr. Savo coming up in through the rest of the book.
A quote important to the book (from my perspective) is: " ' Always like kids that hold to their religion' " (43). This seems important to the story because it's simple to the side characters. Kids that hold to their religion. Just the one. But to Reuven and the other boys, they're holding to their religion and their specific sect while holding off from the other sects. It looks simple outwardly, but it's really not. A line important to me is: " 'Do you really think, Reuven, I should have told you? It was for Danny to tell if he wished, not for me' " (86). I like this quote a lot, because people tend to tell me their secrets. And it's difficult to have a lot of secrets running around in my head because I'm not sure what to do with them. This quote is important because it makes a lot of sense in this context. I keep the secrets, but they're not mine. They're other people's, and theirs to tell alone. Danny doesn't want to follow tradition and Reuven does. I wonder, does anyone else think they'll end up following their own paths or the ones that are intended for them?
I was thinking (predicting) that Danny ad Reuven would end up sort of taking each others paths' laid our for them (Danny would become a psychologist sort of like Reuven's father wants Reuven wants to be a mathematician, and Reuven would become a Rabbi like Danny's father wants to become.)
What Ian said is kind of interesting. I wonder if that is whats going to happen-- it'd be a little ironic. We're not very far into the book yet, but so far Reuven seems pretty willing to follow the rules that are laid out for him. But maybe there's a little sense of rebellion buried deep inside him. I'd like to see that play out.
"'It shows how cruel people can be.'" (80). This seems important to the story (at least to me) because I feel this line is foreshadowing how cruel Danny's very strict-sounding father could be to Reuven, or Danny, or maybe someone else. It could also foreshadow someone else being cruel to Reuven. "I had never thought what it might be like to be blind." (53). This quote struck me because I am constantly trying to imagine what it would be like to be blind. Being blind is kind of a fear of mine, because I already can't hear well and I use my vision to communicate a lot with people, at least a lot more than people realize, so I'm a little scared of going blind and losing that other ability to communicate. Semi-unrelated question, does anyone think Danny's father will become a sort of antagonist?
In all honesty, I believe that Danny's father will become an antagonist within this book. Since we are reading this book from the perspective of Reuven, and Danny is (to be) his friend, it would make sense to view his father as someone who is refusing to let Danny do as he wishes.
I'm sorry if this is kinda short but I wrote a TON and then when I tried to post it it got deleted!
Imp't to me: "He [reuvens father] kept telling me it was his cold" (73) I am kinda worried now that something is totes wrong with him. This is some good foreshadowing. (Maybe this has something to do with why he can't fight in the war)
imp't to text: "It's D day, Bobby boy." (55) I thought it was later, maybe '50-'60s. But now I know it's WWII!
Question: Will the whole WWII thing become a big part of the story?
My father, who's Jewish, was a little boy during WWII, and he says he was always scared the Nazis were going to come get him. Everyone listened to war reports on the radio, and he didn't have a sense of how far away Europe was. For Danny and Reuven, and all their contemporaries, it must have been surreal hearing about Hitler's activities, yet living relatively free of prejudice across the ocean.
"Asleep, I heard a shout and a noise that sounded like a cheer, and I woke immediately" (p 55). I think this quote and the seen after are creosol to the story because it continues a trend that nothing is always what it seems and their is always a suspenseful moment in every chapter. "'My head hurts a little,' I told her" (p 53). I can really connect to this scene mostly because I have had two concussions. I know what it is like to have your head hurt like that. It is painful. Also, I like this passage because it shows some vulnerability in him. I like that you get to see this leader of the team a little vulnerable. I wonder what the next surprise and suspenseful moment might entail?
A passage that was important to me was when Reuven heard Mr. Galanter say "Jesus" and was really surprised: "'Jesus,' Mr. Galanter said under his breath. He was standing alongside the stretcher table with his back to the rear of the elevator. I tried turning my head to look at him, but the pain was too much and I lay still. I had never heard him use that word before, and I wonder what made him use it now." (p. 40) This part was important to me because I thought it showed how seriously Reuven and the people around him took their religion. It even surprised me a little, not being able to say the word Jesus, but it makes sense. I just thought this was a good way to show how important it was that they follow certain rules. A part that I thought was important to the text was when Reuven's dad told him he might be blind in one eye: "I looked at my father. "Of course the eye has to heal,' I said. 'It has a tiny cut on the edge of the pupil, and the cut has to heal'. I stared at him. 'The scar tissue,' I said slowly. 'The scar tissue can grow over the pupil. And I felt myself go sick with fear." (p. 50) I thought this was a really important part of the text because if Reuven is blind in one eye, it could change a lot of things. He already hated Danny for simply hitting him in the face, but making him blind on one eye is a whole different story. That's a lot worse, and Reuven might hold that against him if he does in fact go blind. If Danny and Reuven become closer, will this cause a problem in their relationship? Or will Reuven forgive him?
On page 74, I happen to choose a quote involving the discussion that happened to take place between Reuven and his father, following the second time that Danny payed him a visit. “People are not always what they seem to be,” he said softly. “That is the way the world is, Reuven.” I found this quote to be significant to me and the book, because it appears that Danny Saunders has proven this to be very true about himself. Our original impression of him was of an individual who was cruel to those who may not identify with his beliefs. He turns out to be a person interested in secular topics, and he appears to be quite tolerant of others. It seems as if he happens to be trapped under obligations that he has no desire to be a part of. Will his father catch wind of what has been happening?
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"I didn't want to duck any ball he hit”. I liked this quote because the whole time he was going to the hospital he hated Danny because he's the one who hit the ball but when Danny visited Reuven we find out that it was mostly Reuven's pride that brought him to the hospital.I dont’ understand why they are so mean to each other.Does anyone else?
ReplyDeleteWell Shannon Danny was hitting balls right at the pitcher making the duck, or get hit by the baseball and when I read that part I thought that Reuven wanted to win against Danny after he insulted Reuvens team and because Danny insulted Reuvens father and his team Reuven thought he would prove that he wasn't going to let danny win and have the swollen ego after. Also when Danny insulted his father he made the matter personal and everyone who attended his services.
Delete"Asleep,I heard a shout and a noise that sounded like a cheer, and I woke up immediately" I thought that this quote really set the time and context for the book.
ReplyDelete"I have an agreement with my father. I study my quota of Talmud everyday, and he doesn't care what I do the rest of the time. Whats your quota of Talmud? Two blatt." I think this quote hsows significance because it shows a window into Dannies life.
Quick side note was that the first quote was on page 55 and the second one was on page 68.
DeleteA quote that I personally thought was good was “I can’t read for two weeks?” ( Pg 52) I could relate to the shock of not being able to read because if I couldn’t read for two weeks, I would die. I love to read, and we all read everyday to learn. So for Reuven it would be hard or maybe even harder. A quote that goes really well with the story is “That’s right Bobby boy. I’m a prelim man. Could’ve been on top if that guy hadn’t clopped me with that right the way he did. Flattened me for a month Manager lost faith. Lousy manager. Tough racket, the ring. Good food, eh?”(Pg 45) I think this is a quote goes really well with the story because it shows you what Tony Savo is like. He sounds happy and a little crazy, in a good way if that makes sense. As I was reading, Tony started to become more of a mystery. I was wondering if Tony Savo was really a fighter or if something else happened to him? Do we ever find out?
ReplyDeleteI do not know if we ever find out more about Mr. Savo, but I do agree with you that he does seem to be very mysterious about things all of a sudden. At the end of part one we find out that he lost one of his eyes, but he really doesn't explain why. I have a feeling that Mr. Savo isn't letting on about his illness as much as we think.
DeleteI agree I couldn't imagine not being aloud to read for two weeks that would be awful. I love this line I am really connected to it. I would like to know more about Tony also he seams like an interesting person with many layers.
Delete"People are not always what they seem to be....that is the way the world is, Reuven." (74) This passage is important to the book because with many characters you may have one opinion about them at the beginning of the book, but as you read on your opinion about that character may change. For example, at the beginning of the book I was not very fond of Danny Saunders, but as I kept reading my opinion about him changed. This is also something that happens a lot in real life. Many people refer this as "judging a book by its cover" or "judging someone by their appearance".
ReplyDelete"You know what a friend is, Reuven? A Greek philosopher said that two people who are true friends are like two bodies with one soul." (74) This passage is important to me because having a friend in your life is something that everyone should get to have. Being able to have someone in your life that you know you can trust and depend on is something that is very important. People shouldn't have to go through life not having someone that they can talk to or help them.
While Reuven was at the hospital he made friends with a boy named Billy and an older man named Mr. Savo, do you think he will ever see them again?
I don't think so. I think they were characters introduced momentarily in order to give some insight into what was going on in Reuven's life. They were there simply to show an outside perspective.
DeleteI think that maybe Reuven will think back to Mr. Savo. I do not think that we will see him again. Like Hyla said, Mr. Savo was a little part of Reuven's I do have a feeling though that there will be more people like Mr. Savo coming up in through the rest of the book.
DeleteA quote important to the book (from my perspective) is: " ' Always like kids that hold to their religion' " (43). This seems important to the story because it's simple to the side characters. Kids that hold to their religion. Just the one. But to Reuven and the other boys, they're holding to their religion and their specific sect while holding off from the other sects. It looks simple outwardly, but it's really not.
ReplyDeleteA line important to me is: " 'Do you really think, Reuven, I should have told you? It was for Danny to tell if he wished, not for me' " (86). I like this quote a lot, because people tend to tell me their secrets. And it's difficult to have a lot of secrets running around in my head because I'm not sure what to do with them. This quote is important because it makes a lot of sense in this context. I keep the secrets, but they're not mine. They're other people's, and theirs to tell alone. Danny doesn't want to follow tradition and Reuven does. I wonder, does anyone else think they'll end up following their own paths or the ones that are intended for them?
I was thinking (predicting) that Danny ad Reuven would end up sort of taking each others paths' laid our for them (Danny would become a psychologist sort of like Reuven's father wants Reuven wants to be a mathematician, and Reuven would become a Rabbi like Danny's father wants to become.)
DeleteWhat Ian said is kind of interesting. I wonder if that is whats going to happen-- it'd be a little ironic. We're not very far into the book yet, but so far Reuven seems pretty willing to follow the rules that are laid out for him. But maybe there's a little sense of rebellion buried deep inside him. I'd like to see that play out.
Delete"'It shows how cruel people can be.'" (80). This seems important to the story (at least to me) because I feel this line is foreshadowing how cruel Danny's very strict-sounding father could be to Reuven, or Danny, or maybe someone else. It could also foreshadow someone else being cruel to Reuven. "I had never thought what it might be like to be blind." (53). This quote struck me because I am constantly trying to imagine what it would be like to be blind. Being blind is kind of a fear of mine, because I already can't hear well and I use my vision to communicate a lot with people, at least a lot more than people realize, so I'm a little scared of going blind and losing that other ability to communicate. Semi-unrelated question, does anyone think Danny's father will become a sort of antagonist?
ReplyDeleteI don't think Danny's father will become an antagonist. He is just TOO mice! What makes you think that?
DeleteIn all honesty, I believe that Danny's father will become an antagonist within this book. Since we are reading this book from the perspective of Reuven, and Danny is (to be) his friend, it would make sense to view his father as someone who is refusing to let Danny do as he wishes.
DeleteI'm sorry if this is kinda short but I wrote a TON and then when I tried to post it it got deleted!
ReplyDeleteImp't to me: "He [reuvens father] kept telling me it was his cold" (73) I am kinda worried now that something is totes wrong with him. This is some good foreshadowing. (Maybe this has something to do with why he can't fight in the war)
imp't to text: "It's D day, Bobby boy." (55) I thought it was later, maybe '50-'60s. But now I know it's WWII!
Question: Will the whole WWII thing become a big part of the story?
My father, who's Jewish, was a little boy during WWII, and he says he was always scared the Nazis were going to come get him. Everyone listened to war reports on the radio, and he didn't have a sense of how far away Europe was. For Danny and Reuven, and all their contemporaries, it must have been surreal hearing about Hitler's activities, yet living relatively free of prejudice across the ocean.
Delete"Asleep, I heard a shout and a noise that sounded like a cheer, and I woke immediately" (p 55). I think this quote and the seen after are creosol to the story because it continues a trend that nothing is always what it seems and their is always a suspenseful moment in every chapter. "'My head hurts a little,' I told her" (p 53). I can really connect to this scene mostly because I have had two concussions. I know what it is like to have your head hurt like that. It is painful. Also, I like this passage because it shows some vulnerability in him. I like that you get to see this leader of the team a little vulnerable. I wonder what the next surprise and suspenseful moment might entail?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteA passage that was important to me was when Reuven heard Mr. Galanter say "Jesus" and was really surprised: "'Jesus,' Mr. Galanter said under his breath. He was standing alongside the stretcher table with his back to the rear of the elevator. I tried turning my head to look at him, but the pain was too much and I lay still. I had never heard him use that word before, and I wonder what made him use it now." (p. 40) This part was important to me because I thought it showed how seriously Reuven and the people around him took their religion. It even surprised me a little, not being able to say the word Jesus, but it makes sense. I just thought this was a good way to show how important it was that they follow certain rules.
ReplyDeleteA part that I thought was important to the text was when Reuven's dad told him he might be blind in one eye: "I looked at my father. "Of course the eye has to heal,' I said. 'It has a tiny cut on the edge of the pupil, and the cut has to heal'. I stared at him. 'The scar tissue,' I said slowly. 'The scar tissue can grow over the pupil. And I felt myself go sick with fear." (p. 50) I thought this was a really important part of the text because if Reuven is blind in one eye, it could change a lot of things. He already hated Danny for simply hitting him in the face, but making him blind on one eye is a whole different story. That's a lot worse, and Reuven might hold that against him if he does in fact go blind. If Danny and Reuven become closer, will this cause a problem in their relationship? Or will Reuven forgive him?
On page 74, I happen to choose a quote involving the discussion that happened to take place between Reuven and his father, following the second time that Danny payed him a visit. “People are not always what they seem to be,” he said softly. “That is the way the world is, Reuven.” I found this quote to be significant to me and the book, because it appears that Danny Saunders has proven this to be very true about himself. Our original impression of him was of an individual who was cruel to those who may not identify with his beliefs. He turns out to be a person interested in secular topics, and he appears to be quite tolerant of others. It seems as if he happens to be trapped under obligations that he has no desire to be a part of. Will his father catch wind of what has been happening?
ReplyDelete