I got conned by an old man at a refueling station. I was traveling the great void, alone a one man crew, just me myself and I. Since I first started traveling the galaxy I had bounced around like a pingpong ball in a dryer constantly looking to make a little money. I was in desperate need of supplies,not just food and water but also fuel, I had just finished buying my supplies from the trading post when I spotted him. He was an older man with graying hair and rotting teeth, He didn’t have a significant build but his eyes were what I could relate with, he had the most innocent eyes, they were the eyes of a man who couldn’t lie to you even if it was the last thing he needed to do. He called me over and asked me if I would listen to him as my ship was refueled. Sure I’ve got enough time to kill what do you want to to talk to me about? “Well son I called you over because you remind me of myself when I was younger and I want to give you something I never had,a chance to get rich” Normally I would have walked away and forgotten about it, but this man was something else about his eyes. “Im listening old man what are you thinking” “well recently I came across a pocket of x27 also known as stardust by you younger miners in a asteroid.” When the old man uttered the words pocket and stardust I suddenly became very excited. Stardust was rarer than most minerals and it cost more to buy. I started to daydream, anyone who had stardust could sell it for what they wanted, I could become rich. “So where was this pocket of stardust? “not so fast” he chuckled “That information isn’t free” “ugh how much do you want” I groaned realising that he was just another person with something to sell. “Twenty thousand credits should cover it” “TWENTY THOUSAND ARE YOU CRAZY” I shouted “Its twenty thousand credits or you get nothing” was his only retort “Fine” I finally retorted “ I’ll pay the twenty thousand credits you want “good you just transfer the credits and you will get the location of the stardust” He clapped, stood up ,and shook my hand. “Heres your money” I said sullenly. “And, heres the location” he said quickly and walked away rather quickly. When my ship was fully stocked and refueled I headed straight for the location of the stardust. When I arrived at the given location I realised that I had been conned, there was nothing there but empty space. I turned around in the direction of the refueling station. When I arrived and asked about the old man who was balding and had rotting teeth all I received were blank stares. If my bank account didn’t have twenty thousand credits less than it did I would have thought it never happened, that it was just a hallucination from the fumes, but I was missing twenty thousand credits and had nothing to show for it.
“Her Scarf”
ReplyDeleteyoungwritersproject.org/node/98419
"Five Second Chances"
ReplyDeletehttp://youngwritersproject.org/node/99267
"The Life of a Leaf"
ReplyDeletehttp://youngwritersproject.org/node/98270
http://youngwritersproject.org/node/100653
ReplyDelete"Dream Room"
What to do
ReplyDeletehttp://youngwritersproject.org/blog/18744
#theinternetlife
ReplyDeletehttp://youngwritersproject.org/user/18745/blog
Justin Duguay
ReplyDeleteEnglish 10
Stardust
I got conned by an old man at a refueling station. I was traveling the great void, alone a one man crew, just me myself and I. Since I first started traveling the galaxy I had bounced around like a pingpong ball in a dryer constantly looking to make a little money. I was in desperate need of supplies,not just food and water but also fuel, I had just finished buying my supplies from the trading post when I spotted him. He was an older man with graying hair and rotting teeth, He didn’t have a significant build but his eyes were what I could relate with, he had the most innocent eyes, they were the eyes of a man who couldn’t lie to you even if it was the last thing he needed to do. He called me over and asked me if I would listen to him as my ship was refueled.
Sure I’ve got enough time to kill what do you want to to talk to me about?
“Well son I called you over because you remind me of myself when I was younger and I want to give you something I never had,a chance to get rich”
Normally I would have walked away and forgotten about it, but this man was something else about his eyes.
“Im listening old man what are you thinking”
“well recently I came across a pocket of x27 also known as stardust by you younger miners in a asteroid.”
When the old man uttered the words pocket and stardust I suddenly became very excited. Stardust was rarer than most minerals and it cost more to buy. I started to daydream, anyone who had stardust could sell it for what they wanted, I could become rich.
“So where was this pocket of stardust?
“not so fast” he chuckled “That information isn’t free”
“ugh how much do you want” I groaned realising that he was just another person with something to sell.
“Twenty thousand credits should cover it”
“TWENTY THOUSAND ARE YOU CRAZY” I shouted
“Its twenty thousand credits or you get nothing” was his only retort
“Fine” I finally retorted “ I’ll pay the twenty thousand credits you want
“good you just transfer the credits and you will get the location of the stardust”
He clapped, stood up ,and shook my hand.
“Heres your money” I said sullenly.
“And, heres the location” he said quickly and walked away rather quickly.
When my ship was fully stocked and refueled I headed straight for the location of the stardust. When I arrived at the given location I realised that I had been conned, there was nothing there but empty space. I turned around in the direction of the refueling station. When I arrived and asked about the old man who was balding and had rotting teeth all I received were blank stares. If my bank account didn’t have twenty thousand credits less than it did I would have thought it never happened, that it was just a hallucination from the fumes, but I was missing twenty thousand credits and had nothing to show for it.