Tuesday, October 7, 2014

If you memorized your lines for your group's play...

Write a response reflecting on the experience (minimum 200 words).

2 comments:

  1. I memorized my lines for the play Erasure. When we first got the assignment, I was really excited and eager to start memorizing lines, especially since I couldn't take any drama classes this year. I wanted to put everything into this play and have my lines down really solidly. It started out great, but almost immidiately after beginning to memorize, I had auditions for the Winooski Valley Music Festival. I didn't think they would take so up much f my time, but it turned out to a be really stressful and time-consuming week, with rehearsals and such. So unfortunately, since that got most of my attention, I didn't know my lines as well as I would have hoped to. One thing that I thought made the memorization process a little more difficult was only getting to rehearse a few times with the rest of our group. Because our play had tons of blocking/props in it, that's what we focused in mostly, rather than the lines(This was pretty unavoidable though, because getting the blocking sorted out was something that needed to be done one way or another). That wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely made it harder for me when I realized I had to finish learning my lines without being able to rehearse with the rest of my group. Something that would have made it a little easier for me would probably have been if another person in my group decided to memorize lines. If that was the case, we'd be able to practice and help each other a little more throughout the process. One aspect I really appreciated was that even though I did have to memorize my lines, it didn't turn into a super stressful thing that I felt like I was being forced to do(like most school assignments)--it felt more like something I wanted to do and was excited about. It was also nice that it wasn't a high-pressure situation like it would be in a real drama class. It was a little more low-key, which I really appreciated. Overall, it was a pretty good experience despite not having my lines down super solidly. It was still lots of fun, and I hope we perform more plays in class this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reshma, I give you a lot of credit for sticking with your plan to memorize for "Erasure," even when it became clear that you wouldn't be able to learn your lines quite as solidly as you had envisioned. As a person pursuing many interests, as you are, you'll have to roll with it when something has to give, and I congratulate you on doing that with this play. That's not always easy to do.

    Despite a few times where you may have been fuzzy about your next line, you did wonderfully! Because yes, it was a low-key situation, a few pauses were no big deal whatsoever, and I got a kick out how Daniel helped you when you were stuck and how you stayed in character the whole time.

    You did a great job taking on "Anna," and congrats to your whole cast for managing the blocking so well. I don't think I've ever seen it done as smoothly as you three did it. I hope you have fun as script writer/director with Romeo and Juliet!

    ReplyDelete